Opportunity Statuses should represent the stages that your typical sales Opportunity will journey through. For example, your first status may be 'Enquiry' and the next could be 'Meeting Booked', then finally having either 'Sold' or 'Lost' as your closing Status within an Opportunity Pipeline.
- You'll need CRM Admin rights in order to follow the steps in this article
Step 1: Navigate to Settings Centre
To configure your Opportunity Statuses, click on the settings icon in the bottom left-hand corner of the CRM.
Step 2: Go to Sales in Settings
Once within the Settings Centre, navigate to the Sales page and scroll down until you reach the Opportunity Status configure option.
Step 3: Configure Opportunity Statuses
By clicking on the 'Click to Configure' link, the Configure Opportunity Status window will open. To add in a new Opportunity Status, click on the plus on the right-hand side.
Step 4: Add Opportunity Status Details
You'll then be asked to give the new Opportunity Status a Description. Make sure this is as relevant as possible for all CRM users, and that is a good description of what this Status should be used for. Then, click 'Create'.
Step 5: Choose Additional Preferences
Now you've created the Opportunity Status, you'll need to choose some additional preferences for this Status by clicking the pencil icon next to the newly added Status. The below side panel will appear with some additional drop-down menus for you to configure.
- Recall Required: In the CRM you can ensure users take ownership of a record by setting them a Recall at a particular Status in the Pipeline.
- Closed State: If this Status is going to be a closed Status, such as 'Sold' or 'Lost', then ensure this is selected.
- Status Outcome: For reporting purposes, you can choose whether the status is a positive, neutral or negative outcome. For example, a Status of 'Lost' may be a negative outcome, whereas a Status of 'Won' may be a positive outcome.
- Allowing Editing: You can choose whether the Opportunity, once in this particular status, can be edited, read only or only admin users can edit.
- Obsolete: If you no longer need a Status, you can choose to mark it as 'Obsolete', meaning users will no longer be able to choose this Status from the drop-down.
- Status Detail: Status Detail can be helpful when further clarifying the current status. For example, a status of 'Lost' doesn't really explain why this Opportunity fell through, so you may have a Status Detail options including 'Lost to Competitor', 'Lost due to price' etc.
Once happy with your amendments, click out of the side panel and your changes will be saved automatically.
To add your Opportunity Status to your Opportunity Pipeline, take a look at our article here.