Power BI is Microsoft's Business Intelligence Tool, and ProspectSoft's Content Packs are a quick and easy way to get started with using Power BI to analyse the data in your Prospect 365 Solution.
Before you begin you must have a Power BI online account (powerbi.microsoft.com) and a Prospect 365 account and have authority to generate Personal Access Tokens (PAT's).
If you do not know how to create a PAT (Personal Access Token) please see our corresponding article.
Once you have a PAT, connecting Power BI to Prospect 365 is pretty straight forwards.
1. If you haven't already done so, log into your Power BI Online Account (not the Power BI Desktop App, but your online account at https://app.powerbi.com)
2. Click Get Data at the bottom of the left hand navigation pane.
3. Locate the Services box and click "Get"
4. Search the available Apps for "Prospect 365" to find all the content packs currently available, locate the one you want and click "Get it now".
5. Power BI then prompts you to connect to the Prospect 365 OData service. The URL is already set for you enter the login details. Prospect 365 doesn't allow anonymous access to your data (phew!) so choose "Basic" (note - the term "Basic" doesn't relate to the level of security - merely the method of authentication. Choosing Basic allows you to enter your login email address as the username, and your PAT (generated above) as the password. You CANNOT use your standard Prospect 365 password on this screen - we don't allow that as we don't want you sharing your own password, even with Microsoft. Use the PAT token you generated earlier - this keeps your password secret but also allows you to revoke the PAT any time you choose.
6. If you have accurately copied and pasted your PAT, clicking "Sign In" will (not surprisingly) connect to the Prospect 365 OData service and build your dashboards.
7. If, for any reason your PAT was incorrect, it runs out (if you enabled it only for a limited period) or if you revoke it, you can update the credentials
Changing the OData Authentication Credentials
There are times you may have entered the wrong credentials or want to change the credentials at a later point in time. To update the credentials do the following:
- Under Settings, click on the Datasets tab. Prospect 365 datasource on the left.
- Under Data source credentials click on Edit credentials for OData. Here you can update the credentials used. Be sure to select Basic for the Authentication method.